Historical Churchyard Killagholehane cemetery and church ruin ( within walking distance of Glenview :Lodge and 2kms from Broadford village.)
Tradition related that when Christianity was introduced people could not agree on a site for their Church. Prayers were said for guidance. An unusual snowfall came in the month of July when the plans of the church were marked on the snow. The name given to the church recording this remarkable event was the Church of O’Lehane’s field. Later the church was dedicated to a patron saint: Beta Virgo Marie ad Nives, known then by local people as “Muire Sneachta” and later as “Our Lady of the Snows”. The present church in the village of Broadford is “Our Lady’s of the Snow’s Church”
The first written records of the church occur in the year 1209 but the present Church was built in the 15th Century. It was the parish church. It’s most unusual feature is the east window which is divided into three and the middle part has three further divisions. Note the fine 15th century tomb niche in the north wall and the baptismal font lying behind the altar in the window niche. There used to be a gallery above the door. Part of the sanctuary still remain. The church is a national monument and is cared for by the Office of the Public Works. This church yard was also used to bury the famine dead during the 1840s, a plaque on the church wall acknowledges this. Within the burial ground adjacent to the church is an important Republican plot and the headstone commemorates the deaths of local people during the War of Independence.